|Post Name||Civil Engineer|
|Qualification||A degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university with strong technical skills and 5+ years of related technical experience|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 25 To CAD 30 Per Hour|
|Location||Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada V9S 3Y3|
McElhanney has an exciting opportunity for a Civil Engineer to grow our Civil Engineering presence in Nanaimo, BC. In this role, you will serve as a member of a tight-knit, growing local team.
With dynamic people and client skills, and a passion for developing and working on local project opportunities. This engineering role is ideal for a self-starter that can excel in a mature, privately held organization with established engineering, surveying, and support services in-house.
At McElhanney, culture is the key to our success. We seek people who excel in an environment where teamwork, excellence, respect, and inclusion are a priority. If you are looking for an opportunity to further your project management, and client development skills, while contributing to the growth and diversification of our branch services, this may be the role for you!
Live & Work in Nanaimo:
As the second largest city on Vancouver Island which has earned the title “Canada’s Sunporch,” Nanaimo is a thriving mix of restaurants, parks, music venues, shops, galleries, and unique cultural elements—such as the world-famous Bathtub Races!
Nanaimo is host to a multitude of retail opportunities including the largest mall on Vancouver Island – Woodgrove Centre. Offering natural beauty at every turn, from the mountain wilderness to spectacular beaches, with vast recreational opportunities for everyone, you too can call Nanaimo home!
For additional information on Vancouver Island, visit our customized Vancouver Island careers page
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Provide detailed production of engineering designs, drawings, and specifications for various civil projects including municipal, land development, water and wastewater, site drainage, road works, and infrastructure upgrades.
- Work from preliminary concepts and sketches into engineering designs, plans, and project informational requirements, using Civil 3D, as well as other technical software as needed.
- Coordinate and assist in the preparation of documents required for approvals, prepare construction cost estimates, tender documents, and contracts, as well as coordinate with other team members to ensure schedules, budgets, and quality control standards are achieved.
- Complete field inspections to monitor the quality and progress of the work being performed.
- Assist with construction management and contract administration
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to junior engineers and technical staff.
- Assist the Nanaimo office and the team in branch operations including business development, workload, safety, quality, and financial outcomes
- Represent McElhanney to the external environment including clients, businesses, and professional associations to enhance McElhanney’s positive public profile
What You’ll Bring:
- A degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university with strong technical skills and 5+ years of related technical experience
- Registration in good standing as a P. Eng in British Columbia or ability to obtain registration through existing inter-jurisdictional agreements
- Proven ability to attract and retain clients, win projects, and consistently provide high-quality deliverables on time and on budget
- Demonstrated business development skills
- An aptitude for quality thoughtful design, continuous learning, knowledge sharing, and relationship building
- Experience with all government levels, construction contractors, and developers would be an asset
What Can We Offer You?
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee & Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Competitive salary, participation in our generous performance bonus plan, and the opportunity to join an employee-owned firm with potential share ownership
- Financial assistance to support your relocation
- Continuous support for your growth through professional development reimbursement, mentorship programs, and the opportunity to join numerous internal committees.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services.
As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities.
Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation, and benefits package, and collaboration with a team of great professionals.