Digital Content Editor
|Hiring Organization||J. Paul Getty Museum|
|Post Name||Digital Content Editor|
|Qualification||Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or a related field|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||USD 66156 To USD 86015 Per Year|
|Location||Los Angeles, California, United States 90049|
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
We are looking for a Digital Content Editor to develop engaging stories for broad, non-specialist audiences that draw from our work to research, develop, and model best practices for the long-term preservation of the world’s cultural heritage.
The Digital Content Editor will identify and write these stories in consultation with subject area experts, project managers, and other stakeholders for publication across Getty’s digital platforms including its website, social media, and Getty Magazine.
The Digital Content Editor will join the digital content team in the Conservation Institute’s Communications department and will be an integral part of Getty’s growth on digital channels.
Getty Conservation Institute is dedicated to finding ways to improve the conservation of the world’s cultural heritage—its art objects, museum collections, historic buildings, and archaeological sites.
We are located at the Getty Center in Los Angeles, and our work often takes us to heritage sites across the globe including locations in South America, Asia, and the Middle East, where we work in partnership with heritage professionals from the region.
Our staff comes from diverse disciplines including architecture, archaeology, conservation, information science, chemistry, engineering, operations management, and communications.
Major Job Responsibilities
You will work across the Conservation Institute with subject area experts, project managers, and other stakeholders to create engaging and delightful narrative content for Getty’s digital platforms. This includes:
- Translating complex work, ideas, and research concepts into the accurate, clear, concise, compelling text to engage and inform broad general audiences.
- Working directly with subject matter experts, project managers, and other stakeholders to edit, fact-check, and adapt the tone and style of text and images for a variety of digital mediums, including webpages, articles, social media posts, and videos.
- Ensuring consistency of all content with Getty brand, content strategy, and design standards, as well as with Chicago style and in-house guidelines.
- Creating and maintaining complex editorial schedules.
- Working with digital and editorial colleagues across Getty to share resources, information, and expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience
- Demonstrated experience writing engaging narrative content drawn from the work of subject matter experts
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple digital content projects in a production environment using numerous distribution channels such as webpages, blogs, e-newsletters, social media, and video
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Outstanding narrative writing ability, with facility for storytelling content
- Expertise in discovering story ledes and angles in dense or specialized professional text and tailoring for general audiences
- Ability to adapt stories for a wide variety of digital formats, including webpages, blogs, videos, and social media.
- Experience working with subject matter experts and specialist stakeholders
- Experience with content management systems and digital publishing workflows
- Experience working in accordance with organization-wide digital content strategy
- Meticulous proofreading and editorial skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal skills, must be highly comfortable with in-person, face-to-face interactions
- Proven ability to build relationships across organizations and disciplines
- Tact and diplomacy in working with subject matter experts.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced, iterative environment
All candidates must apply online. Please upload your cover letter when prompted to do so, and be prepared to upload your resume and a writing sample as a single PDF when prompted to upload your resume by the online application system. With the narrative writing sample (between 300 and 500 words), please indicate the audience for the content and the format (article, webpage, blog post, etc.).
If you have questions about this position or the recruiting process, please write to email@example.com.