|Hiring Organization||Pattern Energy Group LP|
|Post Name||Environmental Associate|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77002|
Pattern Energy is an independent, fully integrated energy company that develops, constructs, owns and operates renewable energy projects and transmission assets across North America and parts of Latin America. The company focuses primarily on wind, solar, and transmission, with additional investments in other generation technologies.
The Pattern Energy team has a history as one of the top North American renewable energy and transmission providers in the industry. The team is dedicated to delivering the highest value for its customers, partners, financial supporters, and the communities in which it works, while exhibiting a strong commitment to promoting environmental stewardship and corporate responsibility.
Pattern Energy operates in the United States and Canada, with offices in San Francisco, Houston, San Diego, New York, and Toronto. Pattern Energy Group LP’s corporate headquarters are in San Francisco.
This position will be part of the Development Environmental Team that is responsible for the environmental permitting of projects in the US, Canada, Latin America, and other foreign markets. The Team provides environmental diligence and permitting services for wind, solar, storage, and transmission projects.
The Environmental Associate position will be heavily focused on solar permitting and development. Work will include but is not limited to working with local, state, and federal agencies to facilitate and obtain the necessary permits/authorizations needed to construct our projects. Includes the creation and implementation of mitigation strategies for multiple environmental resources.
The key responsibilities will include as a minimum the following:
- Manage environmental diligence and permitting activities throughout the site development process for a pipeline of projects including permit applications, site control, layout planning, scoping and review of environmental studies, State and Federal agency consultations, tribal meetings, and community relations
- Advise Project Managers, company Development Directors, and others regarding the environmental permitting of projects from the planning phases through the implementation
- Supervise the work of project environmental consultants, managing project schedules and budgets and ensuring the quality of documents
- Oversee preparation of environmental permit applications and related studies, such as EISs, EAs, and other studies necessary for federal, state, and local environmental permits
- Develop strategies to mitigate the environmental impacts of projects from project inception through post-construction
- Respond to internal, environmental-related inquiries in support of project design, Power Purchase Agreement bids, project financing, and third-party due diligence
- Establish and maintain sustainable relationships and good communications with consultants, vendors, sub-contractors, and project stakeholders
- Coordinate with Operations Environmental Team to implement permit compliance requirements (e.g., post-construction monitoring) during construction and operations
- Attend agency meetings and hearings as needed, and leads strategy meetings in preparation
- Develop and maintains strong collaborative relationships with key allies, stakeholders, and regulators
- Provide training and guidance to staff regarding environmental affairs, permitting, and siting
- Support for Operations compliance as needed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; a master’s degree a plus
- 2 + years experience in energy project development (preferably solar and, wind)
- Demonstrated ability in developing energy projects through complex permitting environments to construction/financing.
- Travel to field sites for varying lengths of time is required, including possible foreign travel.
- Must possess strengths in the following:
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. Must possess strong communication skills, including first-rate drafting and editing abilities.
- Capacity to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to quickly gain a working knowledge of key and emerging issues in the wind and solar power siting and permitting.
- Ability to interpret existing and proposed regulations and advise Pattern management on potential implications for Development and operational projects
- Knowledge of NEPA, Clean Water Act (CWA), Endangered Species Act (ESA), and renewable energy permitting is preferred.
Working knowledge of Windows-based business software applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Pattern Energy Group Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.