Equipment Operator/Distribution Mechanic
|Post Name||Equipment Operator/Distribution Mechanic|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 40 To CAD 45 Per Hour|
|Location||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V8P 1A1|
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company providing renewable and practical energy solutions to more than 1.2 million customers while also taking steps toward a lower carbon future.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,500 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us, and let’s rethink energy together.
- Hold a current Class 1 Driver’s License (with air endorsement).
- Demonstrated ability to proficiently operate a backhoe around underground utilities.
- Ability to provide running maintenance on backhoes.
- Ability to operate and provide running maintenance on any of the following or similar equipment: front-end loaders, trenching machines, portable cranes, crawler tractors, side booms, direct bury plowing machines, or any equipment which requires up to a Class 1 Driver’s License (with air endorsement).
- Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis; have a safe driving record and be able to pass FortisBC driving tests.
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of theory and operation of material and equipment relating to Gas Operations.
- Ability to become proficient in the use of power operated and hand tools, equipment, and instruments.
- Ability to learn simple pipefitting, small meter setting and residential appliance relight setting.
Initiative and sense of responsibility.
- Ability to meet the public as a representative of FortisBC.
- Ability to use and complete time slips, trucking slips, simple work, and similar forms.
- A valid company OA2 welding ticket and a company PE fusion certificate or are immediately capable of obtaining or re-certifying same through normal internal training. Additional Information
- Only applicants who meet all the “Must Have” listed above will be considered for this posting.
- Considerable walking, bending, and lifting.
- Exposed to weather.
- Out-of-town work may be required (subject to operational requirements)
Stand-by hours required
Applicants will be selected in the following order:
- Fully qualified Equipment Operator – Distribution Mechanic.
- Fully qualified Distribution Mechanic with demonstrated skills and experience operating excavating equipment.
- A skills assessment may be required.
- Distribution Apprentice that is fully qualified as an Equipment Operator 1 will be hired into the EODA classification. A skills assessment may be required.
Applicants that are fully qualified as an Equipment Operator 1 and meet the qualifications of a Distribution Apprentice will be hired into the EODA classification.
On-Call/Standby requirements: This role has on-call/standby requirements based on operational needs
Residency requirements: The successful candidate must adhere to the residency requirements of this position.
Overtime requirements: This role has overtime requirements based on operational needs
Out of-town work/Travel requirements: This role has out-of-town work/travel requirements based on operational needs
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package while supporting lifelong career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
Safety is our number one priority, and to maintain the health and safety of our employees and broader communities, we have a number of COVID-19 safety measures in place. This includes a requirement for all new employees to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their first day of work or the start of their employment.
And of course, we will consider an accommodation for anyone who’s unable to be vaccinated due to a protected ground as defined by the Human Rights Code.