Health Care Aide
|Hiring Organization||Chartwell Retirement Residences|
|Post Name||Health Care Aide|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 15 To CAD 25 Per Hour|
|Location||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5E 0Y5|
The Health Care Aide is responsible for assisting residents with the activities of daily living in a safe and caring manner. As a member of the nursing team, they support and encourage the residents to build self-esteem, promote independence and protect their rights to autonomy and dignity.
The Responsibilities Of This Position Include But Are Not Limited To the:
- Assists in providing adequate nutrition, providing meals and nourishment, and feeding those residents as needed;
- Assists with personal hygiene, bathing, and dressing;
- Assists with bowel and bladder care, ensuring the privacy and dignity of the resident, are protected at all times;
- Assists residents to maintain mobility and transferring safely;
- Assists residents to participate in the social and recreational activities of their choice;
- Assists with transportation as required;
- Assists residents to meet requirements for sleep and rest by providing the optimum environments for rest periods and undisturbed sleep;
- Encourages residents to participate in care decisions and choices;
- Assists residents to meet basic needs in a gentle, courteous, and respectful manner;
- During the process of dying and death, works with the Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse to ensure that comfort and dignity are maintained;
- Assists with care of the body;
- Observes and report changes in a resident’s functional and cognitive behavior;
- May provide enemas and catheter care; apply simple dressings and topical medication including ointments and lotions; take urine samples; take and record vital signs and obtain routine laboratory specimens;
- Assist with the admissions, discharges, and transfer of residents;
- Reports unsafe or faulty equipment to the Registered Nurse / Clinical Coordinator / Director of Care;
- Performs and records specific nursing procedures, as directed by the Registered Nurse / Licensed Practical Nurse;
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess :
- Successful completion of a Resident Care Attendant Program;
- Experience supporting seniors with the ADL;
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate effectively in English;
- Customer service oriented;
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal and team relationships;
- Conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate empathy and understanding of the needs of seniors;
- Knowledge of continuous quality improvement/risk management issues;
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the delivery of care services;
- Ability to multitask.
Candidates must be available to work Days, Evenings, Nights, and Weekends. Chartwell recognizes the importance of immunization to protect our residents, staff, and others from COVID-19.
As such, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, it will be a condition of employment that all new hires have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Chartwell’s commitment to diversity and inclusivity is a commitment to hiring people whose skills and abilities contribute the most to the success of the organization and who reflect the communities in which we live and work.