Patient Safety Specialist
|Hiring Organization||Memorial Hermann Southeast Hospital|
|Post Name||Patient Safety Specialist|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77089|
At Memorial Hermann, we’re about creating exceptional experiences for our patients and employees. Our goal is to provide opportunities for our diverse employee population that develop and grow careers in a team-oriented environment focused on patient care.
Every employee, at every level, begins their journey at Memorial Hermann learning about the history of the organization and its established culture built on trust and integrity. Our employees drive this culture, and we want you to be a part of it.
The Patient Safety Specialist will coordinate the patient safety programs within a hospital. The Patient Safety Specialist will work collaboratively with other enterprise, regional, and hospital patient safety specialists.
The Patient Safety Specialist will identify methods for the reduction of medical/healthcare errors and other factors that contribute to unintended adverse outcomes. The Patient Safety Specialist will facilitate safety assessments and coordinate the activities of the patient safety committees, and educate physicians, nurses, and other practitioners on the system-based causes of medical error.
The Patient Safety Specialist will communicate literature-based ideas regarding effective patient safety strategies to others within the hospital and facilitate the implementation of the patient safety program within the hospital.
The Patient Safety Specialist assists in the development of and implementation of Patient Safety improvement projects within the hospital while working in conjunction with physicians, directors, and clinical staff.
The Patient Safety Specialist supports the collection, analysis, and reporting of patient safety and financial data in relation to cost containment, performance improvement, and patient safety. The Patient Safety Specialist promotes interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters teamwork, and champions service excellence.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or above in nursing, pharmacy, or related healthcare area
- Licenses/ Certifications: CPHRM, CPHQ, and CPSO Certification preferred
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Five (5) years in a Healthcare setting, with two years experience in quality, risk, patient safety activities, or clinical role (i.e. LVN, RN, Radiology Technologist, Respiratory Technologist, PT, OT, PTA, etc.)
- Leadership capabilities
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Proficient in event analysis methodologies
- Knowledge of high-reliability methodology
- Experience in healthcare/clinical education
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion, and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Conduct the investigation, summary reporting, data analysis, response planning, implementation, and follow-up of all events of harm root cause analyses within a hospital.
- Conduct periodic Common Cause Analyses of individual and system failure mode data within a hospital.
- Educate and coach hospital staff in conducting Apparent Cause Analyses on precursor and potentially near-miss events.
- Participate in and coordinate comprehensive hospital data collection pertaining to patient safety to meet national, state, regional, and internal measures.
- Direct activity to meet Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals, including education, monitoring, updating, and policy and procedure compliance.
- Coordinate the Patient Safety Climate survey within a hospital.
- Contribute to short-term and long-term robust process improvement projects to continuously improve patient safety.
- Facilitate and further develop safety coaches within the hospital.
- Educate and reinforce hospital staff in the Breakthroughs in Patient Safety and high-reliability behavioral-based expectations.
- Conduct Failure Modes and Effects Analyses on patient safety processes.
- Participate in collecting accurate data pertaining to patient safety indicators and hospital-acquired condition measures.
- Sharing of best practices to allow for System-wide learning.
- Collaborate with enterprise quality and patient safety programs, in particular, the patient safety function, to share knowledge leading to better outcomes.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff, and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity, and quality of service.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the organization’s success; serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff.
- Other duties as assigned.