|Hiring Organization||Canadian Red Cross|
|Post Name||Transportation Driver|
|Qualification||A high school diploma is the minimum education requirement|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 17 To CAD 20 Per Hour|
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6P 4G4|
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet is seeking a Driver to join our Community Health & Wellness Transportation program.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Within the Community Health & Wellness-Transportation department, under the direction of the Program Coordinator and Senior Manager located at 557 Dixon Road, Toronto, a Driver is responsible for providing transportation to eligible clients for medical appointments, social outings, compassionate visits, shopping, and day programs.
As a Driver, you will:
Operate the vehicle safely and report any vehicle and /or radio maintenance concerns/problems/needs to the Program Coordinator.
- Ensure client satisfaction by diligently abiding by the policy and procedures as reviewed in the onboarding process.
- Conduct mandatory MTO regulated circle checks daily on the vehicle(s) noting vehicle defects, and topping up vehicle fluids (e.g. gas and windshield wiper fluids) in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the exterior and interior of the vehicle are clean and presentable to clients and the public.
- Monitor and report any vehicle inventory supplies that should be replenished, such as First Aid kit, gloves, etc., as outlined in the Pre-Trip Inspection requirements.
- Report any maintenance /repairs that may occur during the workday and may be required to take the vehicle to scheduled repairs and maintenance appointments.
- Observe routine practices when working with clients and others. Follow all procedures in reporting and documenting any incidents, accidents, and/or injuries.
- Reports any observed or potential occupational health and safety hazards for workers or clients to the Program Coordinator or designate. Adheres to implement strategies to support social justice and diversity in accordance with Society policies and procedures.
- Help clients to onboard/de-board the vehicle including those clients with mobility devices (example: pushing/maneuvering wheelchairs, folding walkers and safely stowing during the trip as needed and may be required to lift heavy equipment or supplies (up to 50lbs).
What we are looking for:
- A high school diploma is the minimum education requirement.
- A valid Province of Ontario, Class ‘G” Driver’s License with a minimum of two years of driving experience, experience driving commercial vehicles, cube/cargo vans are an asset.
- Good driving record (Clean CVOR/Driver’s abstract) and familiarity with locations of major city streets, able to use or learn technical devices for the position.
- Must be familiar with the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations for the safe performance of his/her duties.
- Previous experience driving and working with the elderly population are considered an asset.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties (able to repeatedly lift up to 50lbs such as assistive medical devices) and able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with clients, the public and staff as well as work independently.
- Demonstrated understanding of poverty and disability; knowledge of non-violent crisis intervention is an asset.
- Ability to communicate in relation to their job duties (verbal and written communication skills, computer skills while maintaining the strictest standard of confidentiality regarding any information.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check, reference checks, satisfactory three-year Driver’s Abstract, Vulnerable Sector Check, and CPR First Aid certification (training provided if required).
- High tolerance for traffic congestion and possible adverse weather conditions.
- Changes related to assigned client rides, working hours, and work location are frequently made on short notice. The incumbent is required to be flexible in working non-traditional hours and in accepting changes to their work schedule and location.
- Incumbents are required to work with individuals of different cognitive and physical abilities. You may occasionally experience unpleasant physical environments and clients.
- Physical demands such as the ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50lbs (e.g. wheelchairs) is required on a regular basis; involve frequent bending and strength.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.