Medical Laboratory Technologist
|Hiring Organization||Sanitas Medical Center|
|Post Name||Medical Laboratory Technologist|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77077|
Medical Laboratory Technologist, Laboratory Services provides technical skills necessary in performing laboratory procedures.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Performs routine and complex laboratory procedures with accuracy and precision, following standard procedures and recognizing deviation from expected results.
- Reviews and evaluates the accuracy of lab data and reports patient results with all required documentation.
- Performs, records, and evaluates quality control data according to procedures including checking expiration dates and documentation of QC performance before use.
- Performs and documents required maintenance procedures for laboratory instruments and equipment as assigned.
- Recognizes equipment malfunctions and troubleshoots according to protocol.
- Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action.
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, apply problem-solving skills, meet deadlines and meet urgent patient, provider, and system needs.
- Reviews and suggests revisions for test procedures.
- Monitors inventory for proper levels notifies the person responsible for ordering when supplies are needed, and receives and unpacks supplies when delivered.
- Communicates pertinent information to staff members, management, medical directors, and other divisions.
- Performs laboratory testing as required per division.
- Follows established procedures for collecting and processing biological specimens for analysis.
- Receives patient samples into the laboratory for testing and reviews laboratory orders and samples for acceptability.
- Ensures that the correct laboratory tests are ordered and placed into the laboratory information system, ensuring that required information is entered.
- Handles and prepares samples for clinical testing and delivers them to the correct laboratory section.
- Available to cover different shifts if requested to guarantee patient care.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structures.
- Adheres to all safety protocols in each laboratory area.
- Performs related duties as required.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to work standing up, walk, use hands to operate tools and equipment and must be able to exert regularly up to 10 pounds of force, frequently exert 30 pounds of force and occasionally exert 50 pounds of force to constantly perform the essential job functions.
The employee will be frequently required to reach with hands and arms, bend, balance, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, and pull. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is subject to environmental conditions; protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. The worker is subject to noise; there may be sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a Clinical Laboratory Science or Basic Science
- Qualifies as Testing Personnel for high complexity testing under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment
- Must be certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician, and MLT, ASCP or equivalent.
- No experience required
Preferred Education and Experience
- Two (2) years of related experience in a CLIA Licensed Clinical or Anatomic Pathology Laboratory.