|Hiring Organization||Refugee Services of Texas Houston Service Center|
|Post Name||Immigration Attorney|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77074|
The Immigration Attorney provides immigration legal assistance to refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking, Special Immigrant Visa holders and other immigrant populations. The Immigration Attorney provides free legal services to eligible groups through the Office of Refugee Resettlement grants.
In and, a special focus will be placed on serving Afghans. Some USCIS applications the Immigration Program at RST supports include but are not limited to Naturalization, Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Documents, Temporary Status renewal, family reunification (I-730, I-130), Special Immigrant Visa, Humanitarian Parole, and adjustment of status. Other services offered are fee-based.
- Provide immigration counseling services to assist clients with applications for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident, naturalization, or citizenship, and assistance with obtaining disability and fee waivers.
- Supervise and support the Immigration Legal Assistant to conduct intakes, maintain case files, and prepare paperwork, and applications.
- Create, maintain, and monitor systems that ensure programmatic and legal compliance.
- Provide periodic information sessions/workshops to eligible clients seeking assistance.
- Maintain a list of and coordinate with available volunteer and contract interpreters that may assist clients with USCIS interviews and other important meetings.
- Coordinate outreach to refugee and immigrant communities to ensure the clients know of the availability of citizenship and naturalization services.
- Participate on local immigration services coalitions and task forces.
- Maintain database of immigration clients and services provided; ensure that accurate reporting occurs in a timely manner.
- Serve as a liaison by representing clients with the USCIS as needed.
- Attend training to acquire, develop and maintain skills and knowledge as needed to ensure the good standing of BIA accreditation and ability to provide services.
- Make ESL and civics instruction referrals for clients as needed; maintain a list of available resources and organizations to provide ESL and civics instruction with their enrollment criteria, locations and hours of operation, etc.
- Work in collaboration with the RST Programs Department to ensure grant program compliance.
- Track ORR and fee-based service outputs and program income. Submit monthly reports to the Programs Department regarding program development, provision of services, program revenue, and associated outputs.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Senior Programs Director
- Licensed attorney. Texas bar admittance is not required. Attend training to acquire, develop and maintain skills and knowledge as needed to ensure the good standing of BIA accreditation and the ability to provide services.
- Familiarity with the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program and immigration procedures associated with immigrants and refugees.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written English, fluency in an additional language a significant plus.
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook