|Hiring Organization||Penguin Random House|
|Post Name||Associate Editor|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||USD 67000 To USD 68000 Per Year|
|Job Location Type||Work From Home|
The Knopf Children’s Books division is seeking an Associate Editor or Editor to join our team, focusing on picture books. This role will report to the Editorial Director of Picture Books. Knopf has a list of 75 front-list books a year, from bestselling and award-winning authors to debut writers and illustrators.
We are dedicated to publishing stories that make kids laugh, feel, adventure, and learn. Our illustrated list includes books such as We’re All Wonders by R.J. Palacio; Swimmy by Leo Lionni; How to Babysit a Grandma by Jean Reagan and Lee Wildish; Of Thee, I Sing by Barack Obama and Loren Long;
All Are Neighbors by Alexandra Penfold and Suzanne Kaufman; Blue by Nana Brew-Hammond and Daniel Minter; The Blur by Minh Lê and Dan Santat; Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold; The Cardboard Kingdom by Chad Sell, Lunch Lady by Jarrett J. Krosoczka.
- Acquire and edit approximately 6-10 new books per year, with a focus on picture books.
- Responsible for all editorial aspects of book development, including manuscript development and editing; liaising with the art director to sign up and work with illustrators; copywriting including jacket, metadata, and other marketing copy as required.
- Develop and maintain author and agent relationships (attend writers’ conferences, scout new talent, liaise with authors and agents).
- Assist in the creative tending and extending of our backlist.
- Negotiate acquisitions with agents and authors.
- Maintain publishing/production schedules and meet deadlines.
- Participate in editorial meetings.
- Present titles at sales meetings and elsewhere as required.
- Represent imprint at industry conventions.
- Keep abreast of the field at large (read trade journals and competitors’ books; be aware of trends in publishing and children’s media so as to keep the list up-to-date with the marketplace’s needs and demands).
- Minimum of 3 years of picture book editing experience to be considered at the Associate Editor level; minimum of 5 years to be considered at the Editor level
- Ability to think creatively and work as a team to create a well-rounded list
- Excellent writing and copywriting skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
The salary range at the Associate Editor level is $60,000; the range at the Editor level is $67,000-$68,000. Please submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for this opening. We are a smart and supportive team energized about putting engaging books that reflect our world in the hands of readers everywhere.
We’d love to welcome an enthusiastic, entrepreneurial new member! Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and the candidate’s relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits includes, but is not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax, and Roth 401(k)
Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off. Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom, and many other regions around the world.
In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.