|Hiring Organization||BioReference Laboratories|
|Qualification||High School Diploma or GED|
|Employment Type||Part Time|
|Work Hours||4 Hours|
|Salary||USD 17 Per Hour|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77024|
This is an exciting time to join our dynamic organization! BioReference, an OPKO Health company, is the largest full-service specialty laboratory in the United States that gives healthcare providers and patients the power to make confident healthcare decisions.
With a focus on oncology, urology, and women’s health, BioReference offers comprehensive test solutions and unparalleled expertise based on a 40-year legacy of proven science and exceptional service. Join our team and become part of the journey in making our patients and customers the highest priority
We are looking for a Phlebotomist (20 hours per week) in our Houston, TX location.
Schedule: Monday – Friday 7am-12pm
The Phlebotomist provides expertise in blood draws and specimen preparation. Their ability to put patients at ease and obtain sufficient samples with minimal discomfort to patients across a wide demographic is critical to our commitment to high-quality care for our patients and those of our partners.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES:
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Experience doing blood draws, labeling specimens, centrifuging specimens, recording maintenance data and decontamination, updating patient information, etc.
- Collects and stores specimens according to established procedures
- Properly explains in a clear but courteous manner the process of the venipuncture (blood drawing) and or other specimen collection (ex. urine or fecal) as required
- Demonstrate technique/s using straight needles and/or butterfly needles
- Fully understand all of the physicians’ orders
- Matches laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes; label, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order
- Checks all test requisitions or computer label against the script to ensure 100% correct
- Package specimens for transport
- Stores specimen samples according to required temperature places samples in appropriate collection container/ tube, accurately labels, and follows different procedures as outlined by specific protocols deemed necessary for transport to maintain the integrity of the specimen.
- Understands and complies with OSHA and DEP regulations
- Wears appropriate attire including all PPE
- Attend annual department training
- Answer telephone calls, and read laboratory results to satisfy inquiries
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid Phlebotomy certification for the state where employed as required by the state (CA, NV, WA & LA requires certification)
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Minimum of 6 months of work experience performing venipunctures in a fast-paced lab or hospital setting
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent patient interaction skills both in person and by phone
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), biohazardous body fluids, and hazardous chemicals
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer