PRN Pre-Op/PACU Nurse
|Hiring Organization||Enhabit Home Health, Houston (TX)|
|Post Name||PRN Pre-Op/PACU Nurse|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77024|
We are growing and looking to hire an RN for the Pre-Op and PACU room. Must have excellent communication skills, patient care experience, and strong IV skills.
- Assesses the physical, biopsychosocial, and health education needs of adolescents (16 years of age and older), adults, and geriatric patients presenting for perioperative care.
- Gathers pertinent patient care data using all available resources.
- Adheres to principles and procedures of infection control required in the peri-operative setting.
- Performs the responsibilities of a pre-operative nurse, a circulating nurse, and/or a postanesthetic nurse as assigned.
- Implements protective measures to prevent injury in all areas of the peri-operative setting.
- Implement measures to prevent injury related to inappropriate positioning.
- Correctly operates equipment included in the peri-operative nurse equipment checklist.
- Performs nursing procedures included in the peri-operative nurse initial competency inventory.
- Provides peri-operative patient and family education for adolescents 16 years of age or older, adult and geriatric patients, and their families.
- Provides appropriate and safe interventions in emergency situations experienced by patients presenting for peri-operative care.
- Provides for the unique age-specific communication needs of all peri-operative patient age groups.
- Communicates with members of the health care team and other appropriate parties as necessary in the delivery of care. Facilitates patient care with team members.
- Documents nursing care (both manual and/or electronic) to maintain an accurate and legal medical record.
- May participate in department and hospital committees and proved in-service training to hospital staff.
- Prepares reports and maintains accurate records and logs.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Assess patients prior to surgery
- Ensure that operative and informed consents are signed and in order
- Take and record vital statistics of patients to ensure readiness for a surgical procedure
- Initiate IVs and ensure that patients are informed about the procedure
- Assess patients’ post-operative condition
- Monitor vital signs
- Log all findings in patient files
- Answer patient questions and ensure they are kept comfortable
- Monitor patients for condition change and report any changes to the physician
- Perform intervention duties in cases of post-operative emergencies
- Participates in organization Performance Improvement activities, department activities, and QAPI activities designed to maintain quality and safe care for patients served by the facility.
- Effectively communicates within the organization and with the community to provide quality services.
- Supports, assists and adheres to the implementation of the organization’s mission and philosophy.
- Serves as a professional resource when needed, including assisting in co-worker training and orientation.
- Observes organization policies and procedures.
- Promotes a positive public image when representing the facility.
- Accountable to OR or Pre/Op PACU Team Leader.
SAFETY/ INFECTION CONTROL:
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and adheres to regulations and hospital policies and procedures pertaining to safety, emergency preparedness, infection control, OSHA, fire safety, and hazardous materials.
- Is familiar with and adheres to CDC guidelines.
- Complies with the National Patient Safety Goals as appropriate.
- Personal appearance and self-presentation are clean, neat, and moderate.
- Always wears current identification.
- Demonstrates flexibility when changes in assignments are necessary.
- Set priorities and assures the completion of all assigned duties within the shift.
- Compliance with all attendance standards.
- Remains flexible in staffing patterns and resolution of staffing conflicts; participates in temporary assignments.
- Follows HIPAA Guidelines at all times.
- Attends all hospital-required meetings and in-service education.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND EDUCATION:
- Participates in educational experiences designed to maintain competence.
- Annually completes all required in-service and training (e.g. CPR, Infection Control, Safety, etc., as appropriate to the job) as well as all educational requirements.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliation to keep abreast of the latest trends in the field of expertise.
- Seeks feedback to enhance your own performance.
- One (1) to three (3) years of previous experience in an operative setting is preferred.
- Affiliation with local, state, or national nursing organizations is preferred.
- Certification in perioperative Services is preferred.
- CPR certification upon hire.
- ACLS certification within three (3) months of hire; PALS certification within three (3) months of hire if performing pediatric cases.
- Candidate must possess general clinical competency in acute patient care.
- Candidate must demonstrate the ability to gather pertinent medical history and provide concise instruction for pre-operative and post-operative care.
- Previous ambulatory surgery experience is preferred.
- Current State Registered Nurse license; BLS, ACLS. PALS within 6 months of hire.
The working environment is generally favorable; however, there is exposure to risk in the form of disease and potential for exposure to electrical and explosion hazards common in a surgical and/or Pre-Op and PACU environment. High potential for exposure to blood and body fluids; Personal protective equipment is required.