|Hiring Organization||KIPP Texas-Houston|
|Post Name||Associate Teacher|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77036|
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio.
Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston, and operating as KIPP Texas, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering.
We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
An Associate Teacher will assist schools and teachers with student academic goals through the preparation and management of classroom activities and the performance of school administrative duties.
The Associate Teacher will work under the direct supervision of a member of the school leadership team who will help facilitate the best learning experience for the associate teacher and school support activities daily.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
- Observe lead teachers and debrief on classroom management and instructional strategies
- Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior
- Provide substitute teaching coverage for teachers within the school
- Provide administrative and/or operational support within the school
- Support the teachers in ensuring that academic catch-up and recovery (as a response to academic impacts of COVID), as well as academic acceleration benchmarks, are met for students
- Teach small groups of students; Support students by providing one-on-one and small group tutoring daily, and small group intervention and student support
- Assist teachers with instruction, assessments, grading, and other classroom responsibilities
- Supervise students during transitions, breakfast, lunch, and recess
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to establish rapport with families and children
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Ability to work both on broad-based strategy and everyday details
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district
- Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development and a passion for working with underserved student populations and their families
- Proven written and verbal communication skills with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Possession of a passionate and loving attitude toward all children
- Commitment to the vision, mission, values, and goals of KIPP Texas
- Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with students, families, and faculty members are essential
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Proficiency in using computers, printers, and copy machines
Required Education and/or Experience:
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred
The Associate Teacher will be funded directly from the Elementary and Secondary Schools Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants awarded by the Texas Education Agency under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, (ESSER II) and the American Rescue Plan Act (ESSER III).
This position will be funded solely (100%) from the ESSER II and III allocations for direct expenses and may continue to be funded, depending upon the availability of ESSER grant funds. At the end of the grant period, this position may be eliminated unless other sources of funds are secured to maintain this position or a similar position.
The employee must sign this job description acknowledging receipt of the job description and signing acknowledgment that this position is grant funded and is temporarily aligning with the terms of the grant period.
Compensation and Benefits:
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee, you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices, including medical, dental, and vision options, as well as life insurance, fertility, and disability plans starting as low as $25/month.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability