English 2 Teacher
|Hiring Organization||YES Prep North Forest Secondary|
|Post Name||English 2 Teacher|
|Qualification||Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB)|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||USD 58000 To USD 73500 Per Year|
|Location||Houston, Texas, United States 77050|
EVERY OPPORTUNITY STARTS WITH A YES
Great schools begin with great people who believe every day is an opportunity to make a difference. At YES Prep, you have an opportunity to join a family of diverse educators who is leveling the playing field by providing opportunities for a high-quality, college-forward curriculum while also ensuring our students feel supported through their academic journey and empowered to lead choice-filled lives. YES, Prep is more than a family of public charter schools, it’s the future of public education—it’s an opportunity to say, “Yes, you can!
Our campuses are advancing educational equity. Some quick stats about us:
- 17,000 Students
- 1,800 Team Members
- 19 Secondary Campuses
- 6 Elementary Campuses
- 91% of Students Who Qualify for Free/Reduced-Price Lunch
- 94% of Hispanic & African-American Students
- 90% of Students Who Are Accepted to a 4-Year University
- 88% of First-Generation College Students
- Top 100 High Schools in the Nation, U.S. News & World Report
We serve the students of Houston, Texas, the 4th largest city in the United States. There are over 20 public school districts and other great public charter school options, like KIPP Texas-Houston and IDEA Public Schools, within Houston’s city limits serving our increasing population. We are a rapidly growing organization, committed to creating life-changing opportunities for over 23,000 students.
As a Teacher, some of the work and responsibilities will include:
- Developing rigorous lessons in your specific content area, in 1:1 blended learning environments, in order to reignite your students for college and beyond while bridging gaps for marginalized communities
- Setting ambitious goals with your students and monitoring their progress while encouraging them through frequent and persistent feedback
- Tracking student growth and using data and feedback from coaches to create student growth plans when needed for student achievement concerns
- Building transformable relationships with students and families by providing regular, and consistent, communication with parents via phone or video conference, email, or district-approved website
- Creating a physical or virtual classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students
- Collaborating with co-planner to work through daily lesson plans and add resources when needed to fit students’ needs.
- Meeting regular deadlines for daily lesson plans, submitting grades, and work samples
- Working on a team of teachers and leaders to provide consistency, support, and accountability to all students
- Working with content teams in Professional Development to the norm on, and improve student learning
- Conducting weekly tutorials outside of the regular class days to provide additional instruction and support to students
- Completing supervision duties on campus that support student safety including but not limited to morning duty, lunch duty, dismissal, detention, and afterschool duty
- Growing professionally in your craft of teaching by both receiving and giving feedback on a consistent basis from DOI, School Leader, Administration Team
- Persisting in the face of challenges, learning from mistakes, and setting a strong example of character for your students
- Being available by phone, email, or video conferencing to confer with campus leaders, collaborators, students, and/or parents
- Additional duties as assigned
We seek staff with diverse backgrounds, talents, interests, and ideas. Certain traits consistently shine through for our most successful employees: a passion for the mission, drive for results, care for students, resilience, and humility. Other traits needed and desired for this role are:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB)
- Texas Educator Certification, or willing to join ACP to get certified
- Strong ability to navigate web-related applications and technology
- Ability to instruct students using a variety of technology applications and platforms
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- A dedication to learning, growing, and developing as a professional
- Compensation – This position is an exempt, salaried position; salary offers are commensurate with experience. The starting salary for a first-year teacher is $58,000.
- Health and Supplemental Insurance – A $0 monthly medical option that includes $600 towards a Health Savings Account, in addition to a variety of supplemental benefits including Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, etc. Employees must work 20+ hours a week to be eligible for a full spectrum of benefits, and 10 hours a week minimum for medical benefits.
- Retirement Plans – Participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and a 457 Retirement Plan.
- Paid Time Off – Employees working 20+ hours a week receive 10 days of Paid Time Off in addition to the system closures during the Academic Calendar.
Please note, part-time hourly employees (working fewer than 40 hours/week) do not receive pay during system closures. Additionally, 10- and 11-month hourly employees do not receive pay during the months in which they are not working.
- Paid Leave Programming – In the event you need to be out due to medical needs (including maternity and paternity leave), YES Prep offers paid leave, paid out at 100%, based on eligibility and tenure.
- Professional Development – YES Prep values longevity and performance over time. We invest in developing leaders through high-quality programs, effective coaching, and ongoing professional development.
- Award-Winning Culture – The strong cultures of our campuses and Home Office are just one of many reasons we were named Houston’s Best Place to work. We won the broad Prize for Excellence in Urban Education and were a finalist as well.
WE ARE DEEPLY COMMITTED TO EQUITY & DIVERSITY
YES, Prep strives to recruit a diverse team of leaders. We believe there is a transformative academic and social benefit for students when their teachers and leaders reflect a diversity of backgrounds. Ninety-five percent (95%) of staff members agree that the organization provides a welcoming environment given their background and identity according to our latest system survey.
YES, Prep is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.